“Art of the Fish Fry” Features Art Openings, Fish Fries, Food & Drink Specials, Live Music Friday March 9 from 5 – 10 p.m.
CLEVELAND (March 7, 2018) – What happens when art, Lenten fish fries and Walkabout Tremont converge? The Art of the Fish Fry. There will be multiple art openings, food and drink specials at bars and restaurants, live music at multiple locations, and of course… fish fries and fish specials throughout Tremont Friday March 9 from 5 to 10 p.m. during Walkabout Tremont. Visitors can also enjoy locally produced art in many shops, restaurants and bars.
FISH FRIES & FOOD SPECIALS
- Annunciation Cleveland Greek Orthodox Church Fish Fry—beer battered fried whitefish with French fries, coleslaw, & hush puppies for $10; baked Atlantic Cod with rice, mixed vegetables, & dinner roll. Homemade mac & cheese, fish tacos, fried shrimp, homemade clam chowder
- Bac—fish & chips special
- Beviamo—featuring vegan fish tacos and BOGO coffee special
- Corner 11 Bowl & Wrap—enjoy a fresh poke seafood bowl with choice of toppings
- Crust—beyond pizza, fish fry with homemade hush puppies, slaw and hand cut fries ($9.95)
- Edison’s Pizza—ask for Big Bob’s Belly Buster Fish Sandwich
- Fahrenheit—pan fried Lake Erie walleye, fingerling vinegar chips, fried Brussels sprouts, fish sauce aioli; Pineapple lime beer margaritas
- Fat Cats—Lenten fish special
- Flying Monkey—Swedish Fish Shot drink special – $3.50
- Grumpy’s—ANTI Fish Fry… GRILLED Haddock, herb roasted potatoes & southwest coleslaw $13. Add sautéed pierogies with grilled onions for $3
- Merchant Street—fish lettuce wraps and fish tacos
- Prosperity Social Club—Gotta Haddock Lenten Fish Fry-haddock with mac and cheese, slaw, chowder and two potato pierogi ($22); Or, Big Fish plate-haddock, mac-and-cheese and slaw.
- St. Augustine Church—fish bake 4-7 p.m.
- Sokolowski’s University Inn—wide-ranging Lenten menu includes shrimp, cod, perch, mussels, walleye, crab cakes, trout and, yes, pierogis.
- Southside—Lenten fish special
- Ty Fun—Signature Fish – deep fried whole red snapper or char-grilled salmon filet.
- Treehouse—fish specials including fish & chips and shrimp basket.
- Tremont Tap House— Fish Fry: Beer-battered fresh Atlantic cod, jalapeno hush puppies & coleslaw; Fish Tacos: Crispy breaded and fried Lake Erie perch nestled in a warm flour tortilla with Chimichurri sauce, slaw, pickled red onions and jalapeños.
FEATURED ART ON DISPLAY
DOUBTING THOMAS – 856 Jefferson
Tim Joyce—Ephemra, a solo exhibition
Throughout his hardscrabble childhood, Tim was taken with cityscapes, steel mills, the trees of Northeastern Ohio, as well as the people he encountered—all of which he would sketch, draw, and paint. Interweaving music, poetry, and painting with journalism and teaching, he has found constant inspiration and a desire to express how the passage of time is imprinted on both lives and scenes.
LOOP – 2180 W 11th
Massive Survey, group show of illustrators and designers
Professional Illustrators and designers fill the walls of LOOP, featuring: Amanda Bahia, Jacque Beas, April Bleakney, Lindsey Bryan, Amber Esner, Cassandra Harner, Nikki Mokrzycki, Patu Phan, Vanessa Port, Emma Shepard, Phoebe Thomas Music by LOOP resident DJ, DJ Smooth
ROBERT HARTSHORN STUDIO & GALLERY – 2342 Professor Ave.
Fred Gearhart, Wired to Create
Cleveland-based sculptor, Fred is not bound by materials or convention. For this show, the sculptor is introducing a grand new wire figural piece. Fred asks you come play “Peak- a Boo.”
GRAIN – 2379 Professor Ave.
Jim has been a self-employed graphic artist/illustrator in Cleveland since the mid 90s. As a child, his love of cartoon work in Mad Magazine as well as Odd Rod and Wacky Package trading cards (anyone remember them?) is evident in his wildly, creative work to this day. Not content with just one medium, Jim uses pencil, ink or water color when at his art table – and Adobe Creative software when generating digital art at his computer.
TREEHOUSE – 820 College Ave.
I bring my camera on every story I cover as a writer and editor, shooting portraits of actors and directors, members of Cleveland’s huge stable of talented musicians, a small group of young Golden Gloves boxers from a Cleveland gym, the U.S. Army Golden Knights parachute team as they stepped out the aircraft door at 12,000 feet, and on and on.
BAC – 2661 W. 14th
While my desire to work with different processes and media has prevented me from developing a single signature technique or style that lasts very long, I find inspiration from the people and things that surround me. My most recent artistic endeavors include working with micography, cardboard and glorified doodles.
FLYING MONKEY – 819 Jefferson Ave.
Greg Spoth—designs and illustrations
Cleveland- themed & sports-based designs & illustrations
TY FUN – 815 Jefferson Ave.
Jeff McNaught—bicycle and nature-inspired art
Jeff is a Cleveland-based artist dedicated to pedal-powered machines and the outdoors. Cyclophilic began as an off-shoot of the artwork of Jeff McNaught to give the designs a functional purpose beyond wall-hanging. Cycling is about being out in it.
OTHER ART ON DISPLAY
- THE BEAUTY ROOM – Lila Rose Kole – the Serenity Series of Abstract Spa paintings to ease the pain of the winter months
- CLIMB-CLEVELAND — Multiple artists in Tremont’s newest and most physically challenging artist’s venue
- EDISON’S PUB – Greg Renkas, paintings
- FAHRENHEIT – Lila Rose Kole presents the Fahrenheit industrial collection
- FAT CATS – Mark Thomas, paintings and photography
- GIANCARLO CALICCIA GALLERY — “Playful Sculpture” in the artist’s sculpture studio and garden.
- GRUMPY’S – Angela Komperda, Richard Meyer, Kalyn Budner, Sandi Valois (stained glass), Tim Borato (stained glass)
- HI & DRY – Greg Murray, pet photography
- LAVA LOUNGE – James Quarles, introducing “Black & Blue”
- MERCHANT STREET – multiple artists provided by Hedge Gallery
- PAUL DUDA GALLERY – Images of Cleveland by Paul Duda
- THE SOUTHSIDE – Alexis Carek—photography
- TREMONT TAPHOUSE — Rob Hartshorn – photographs areas of the industrial flats
# # #
About Walkabout Tremont
Walkabout Tremont honors the artistic vision of the Tremont ArtWalk, which began in 1993 with open galleries on the second Friday of each month. Walkabout Tremont expands the event’s focus with art openings, music, street entertainment, restaurant and bar specials, and pop-up tents featuring art and artists from within and outside Tremont. Walkabout Tremont is the second Friday of each month. More specifics, an event map, neighborhood tours and gallery/store/restaurant hours are posted on www.WalkaboutTremont.com #WalkaboutTremont