Art, Lenten fish fries and Walkabout Tremont converge this Friday for “The Art of the Fish Fry.” There will be multiple art openings, food and drink specials at bars and restaurants, live music at multiple locations, and of course… fish fries and fish specials throughout Tremont Friday, March 8 from 5 to 10 p.m. during Walkabout Tremont. Visitors can also enjoy locally produced art in many shops, restaurants and bars.
FEATURED ART ON DISPLAY
DOUBTING THOMAS – 856 Jefferson
John Cycyk, Tony Sirna, Maria Winiarski
Prints, tattoos & painted ladies.
LOOP – 2180 W 11th
Glenn Murray—Urban Landscapes
“Cleveland Speaks to me: Her old bones: the neighborhoods, factories and bridges, Her veins and arteries: the river, lake, ships and boats, and her color moods: from blue winter snows to lurid pink summer sunsets. I aspire to follow in the footsteps of Cleveland regionalist such as Coltman, Eastman, Edmonson, Gaertner and Biehle. Whereas they documented the beginnings and height of the industrial age, I am documenting its end.”
VISIBLE VOICE BOOKS – 2258 Professor Ave.
Dawn Tekler & Nick Perry—mural unveiling
Dawn and Nick worked together to create a new mural that features more than 3,000 books, which will be revealed at 7:30 p.m. on Friday during Walkabout Tremont. “The dawn-and-dusk coloration applied to the dimensional literary canvas remind us that there are so many different stories that arise each and every day,” said Visible Voice owner Dave Ferrante.
818 STUDIOS – 818 Jefferson Ave. (above Fahrenheit)
Barbara Merritt—The Capitalist Failure photo series
Trained as a fine art photographer with a heavy background in the studio arts, gallerist and artist Barbara Merritt has been an active photographer for over 22 years. Her latest photo series is being shown together in its entirety for the first time.
ROBERT HARTSHORN STUDIO & GALLERY – 2342 Professor Ave.
Fred Gearhart—Wired to Create
Fred is not bound by materials or convention. For this show, the sculptor is introducing a grand new wire figural piece. Fred asks you come play “peak-a-boo.”
FAT CATS – 2061 W. 10th St
The Sign Guy
Better known as the Sign Guy, Dave Witzke creates fire-breathing cats, deranged rabbits and other bright, cartoony characters that can be found around almost every corner of the west-side Cleveland neighborhood.
OTHER ART ON DISPLAY
- CLIMB CLEVELAND – Tim Herron landscape artist and Billy Delfs photography
- CRUST – Mike Sobek, painter of food and other cool things
- GRAIN – James Hamilton, furniture and artwork, plus ancient collectible dinosaur paintings by Joel Skinner
- GRUMPY’S—Atsuko Yamahiro (paintings); Jeff Zelma (photography); Tim Borato (stained glass); Sandi Valois (stained glass)
- PAUL DUDA GALLERY – Images of Cleveland by Paul Duda
- ROOK MODERN – vintage/modernist selectively sourced designer furniture, dècor and art, including featured pieces of furniture by Scandinavian designers Finn Juhl, Hans Olsen and Johannes Andersen
- VISIBLE VOICE BOOKS – multiple artists provided by Hedge Gallery
FISH FRIES, FOOD SPECIALS+
- Advent Fine Jewelry & Body Piercing – stop by the studio and receive $10 off your piercing fee with the purchase of any gold piece! Don’t miss “trout” on this oppor-tuna-ty!
- Annunciation Cleveland Greek Orthodox Church Fish Fry—beer battered fried whitefish with French fries, coleslaw, & hush puppies for $11; baked Atlantic Cod with rice, mixed vegetables, & dinner roll for $1. Homemade mac & cheese, fish tacos, fried shrimp, homemade clam chowder
- Beviamo—featuring vegan fish tacos and BOGO coffee special
- Corner 11 Bowl & Wrap—enjoy a fresh poke seafood bowl with choice of toppings
- Crust—beyond pizza, fish fry with homemade hush puppies, slaw and hand cut fries ($9.95)Edison’s Pizza—ask for Big Bob’s Belly Buster Fish Sandwich
- Fat Cats—Lenten fish special
- Grumpy’s—ANTI Fish Fry… $13 for haddock lightly breaded and grilled until 10 p.m.
- Prosperity Social Club— “Gotta Haddock” Lenten Fish Fry (as featured on Travel Channel’s Delicious Destinations)
- St. Augustine Church—fish bake 4-7 p.m.
- Sokolowski’s University Inn—wide-ranging Lenten menu includes shrimp, cod, perch, mussels, walleye, crab cakes, trout and, yes, pierogis.
- Rowley Inn—Lake Erie walleye fish fry
- Southside—Lenten fish special
- Ty Fun—Signature Fish – deep fried whole red snapper or char-grilled salmon filet.
- Treehouse—fish specials including fish & chips and shrimp basket.
# # #
About Walkabout Tremont
Walkabout Tremont honors the artistic vision of Jean Brandt, who started the Tremont ArtWalk in 1993, with open galleries on the second Friday of each month. Walkabout Tremont expands the event’s focus with music, street entertainment, local history, restaurant and bar specials, and pop-up tents featuring art and artists from within and outside Tremont the second Friday of every month. More specifics, an event map, neighborhood tours and gallery/store/restaurant hours are posted on www.WalkaboutTremont.com #WalkaboutTremont