Spring Fling Theme Celebrates Walkabout’s Third Season with Street Performers, Pop-Up Vendors, Art Openings, Food & Drink Specials Friday, May 11 from 5 – 10 p.m.
Walkabout Tremont is entering its third season, it’s finally spring and we’re moving back outside. That means it’s time to celebrate with a “Spring Fling” theme Friday, May 11, from 5 to 10 p.m. This month’s Walkabout Tremont features a variety of street performers up and down Professor Avenue—including the current Guinness World Record Holder for the largest indoor/outdoor soap bubbles (DrURawesome), stilt walkers, rock stacking and live music, plus multiple art openings, food and drink specials throughout Tremont, and extended hours at galleries and boutiques. Visitors can also enjoy locally produced art in many shops, restaurants and bars.
FEATURED ART ON DISPLAY
DOUBTING THOMAS – 856 Jefferson
The Sign Guy
Better known as the Sign Guy, Dave Witzke creates fire-breathing cats, deranged rabbits and other bright, cartoony characters that can be found around almost every corner of the west-side Cleveland neighborhood. Originally a graffiti artist, the Sign Guy sells his work online, at local businesses and at festivals.
LOOP – 2180 W 11th
New street photography from Cleveland’s own Raymond Scott.
GIANCARLO CALICCHIA GALLERY – 722 Literary
The sculptor’s garden studio will be open with dramatic sculpture under way for home gardens.
VISIBLE VOICE BOOKS – 2258 Professor Ave
Voice Books is showcasing new artwork by Cleveland-based artists Grace Frank, Scott Pickering and Jason Look. (live music by Strange Standard)
TREEHOUSE – 820 College Ave.
Susan has spent many years working in the fine arts, with an emphasis on watercolor, using multiple layers of glazing to create depth and realism. She specializes in bold florals, mixed media and collage.
LAVA LOUNGE – 1307 AUBURN AVE.
James Quarles—Black & Blue
James Quarles knew from a young age that he wanted to design album covers and movie posters. Drawing influence from Stanley Kubrick to Herbie Hancock, his intricate, graphic-inspired art weaves together social commentary, poetry, street art, politics and music.
STUDIO 888 – 2501 Professor Ave.
Julie Cavanagh paintings
GRUMPY’S – 2621 W. 14th
Photos by Greg Murray, who was voted Cleveland’s best pet photographer, as well as stained glass by local artists.
FAT CATS – 2061 W. 10th St
Michael creates both jewelry, simple objects and very complicated conceptual objects using a wide variety of materials, including wood, metal (silver, copper and brass) and glass.
ROBERT HARTSHORN STUDIO & GALLERY – 2342 Professor Ave.
Lila Rose Kole and Kenno
The versatile artist Lila Rose Kole moved to Berlin in 2017 after five years honing her skills in Tremont. She visited Cleveland recently, bringing new abstract artwork influenced by her European multi-cultural travels. For her signature piece, Lila collaborated with celebrated South American artist, Kenno, unveiling a Cleveland-centric abstract cityscape with a Berliner’s twist.
CLIMB CLEVELAND – 2190 Professor Ave.
Tremont-based portrait/landscape artist who works in oils, pastel and conte crayon.
OTHER ART ON DISPLAY
- THE BEAUTY ROOM – Lila Rose Kole – the Serenity Series of Abstract Spa paintings to ease the pain of the winter months
- GRAIN – James Hamilton, furniture and artwork
- EDISON’S PUB – Greg Renkas, paintings
- FAHRENHEIT – Lila Rose Kole presents the Fahrenheit industrial collection
- FLYING MONKEY – Craig Wizner
- HI & DRY – Greg Murray, pet photography
- MERCHANT STREET – multiple artists provided by Hedge Gallery
- PAUL DUDA GALLERY – Images of Cleveland by Paul Duda
- TREMONT SCOOPS – The Lovely Forest illustrations and patterns
- TREMONT TAPHOUSE — Rob Hartshorn – photographs areas of the industrial flats
- TY FUN – Denyse (Lipka) Carbonell
- WINE & DESIGN – Bill Pappas photography
- DrURawesome and his giant bubbles from 7-8 p.m. by the Treehouse
- Ed Cote – Rock stacker extraordinaire in front of St. John Cantius from 6:30-9 p.m.
- Gaelic Glen Alpacas near the Treehouse from 6:30-8:30
- Mirrors / live music near Post 1 / the corner of Professor and Literary from 7-9 p.m.
- Live music with Alex Henry near Fahrenheit from 6-8 p.m.
- Stilt walkers throughout the neighborhood from 6:30-8:30
- Family Arts Night & bike service at Tremont Montessori School from 5-7 p.m.
- City Dogs at Tremont General Store
FOOD, DRINK & RETAIL SPECIALS
- Banyan Tree—florist making arrangements for Mother’s Day
- Bourbon Street Barrel Room—Walkabout specials 7-10 $4 Abita Light or Amber; $4 Hush Puppies or Gumbo Appetizers; $4.50 House Chardonnay or Cabernet – ask for the Walkabout Tremont special; Happy hour 4:30-7
- Crust—$1 Miller Highlife draft, $3 slices of pizza
- Dante— $5 Glass of Wine for Walkabout featuring Dante’s Signature Selection
- Fahrenheit—food from ShortRib1, Fahrenheit’s official food truck
- Hotz’s Café—visit this Tremont local’s favorite for grape freeze shots only $2.50 and $2 domestic beers
- Prosperity Social Club—Bourbon Blackberry Mint Lemonade $6, Seafood Paella $16
- Studio 888 grand opening (2501 Professor Ave.)—vegan catering, beverages, art on display and live music featuring beautiful Crystal Bowls
- Tidal Cool—sidewalk sale, 30% off all items outside
- Treehouse—Spring Fling Pulled Pork Pineapple Sandwich ($8); add a Stoli-spiked pineapple kicker for $2. Happy hour from 4-7.
# # #
About Walkabout Tremont
Walkabout Tremont honors the artistic vision of the Tremont ArtWalk, which began in 1993 with open galleries on the second Friday of each month. Walkabout Tremont expands the event’s focus with art openings, music, street entertainment, restaurant and bar specials, and pop-up tents featuring art and artists from within and outside Tremont. Walkabout Tremont is the second Friday of each month. More specifics, an event map, neighborhood tours and gallery/store/restaurant hours are posted on www.WalkaboutTremont.com #WalkaboutTremont