Art Openings, Restaurant & Bar Specials and More Friday Jan. 12 from 6 – 10 p.m.
CLEVELAND (January 9, 2018) – Walkabout Tremont visitors this Friday, January 12, can escape the cold at one of many “winter warmer” art openings from 6 to 10 p.m., and with specials at many Tremont bars and restaurants. In addition to the art openings listed below, the night will have extended hours at art galleries and retail shops, live music and a book release at Visible Voice at 7 p.m. (author Michael Jordan, The Company of Demons). Visitors can also enjoy locally produced art in many shops, restaurants and bars.
FEATURED ART ON DISPLAY
DOUBTING THOMAS – 856 Jefferson
Winter Group Show
“Ladies and their John” – an exuberant collection of artwork by Melanie Newman, Brittany Hudak, John Kalman, Sarah Isenhart, Heather Gmucs, Yosafa Deutsch and Natalia Dale.
LOOP – 2180 W 11th
Julius is a Cleveland-based artist whose work deals with identity today through a cultural lens utilizing science fiction, historical, mythological and philosophical inspirations for his illustrations. Music by LOOP resident DJ Smooth
ROBERT HARTSHORN STUDIO & GALLERY – 2342 Professor Ave.
Lila Rose Kole and Keno
The versatile artist Lila Rose Kole moved to Berlin in 2017 after five years honing her skills in Tremont, but she returned over the holidays bringing new abstract artwork influenced by her European multicultural travels. For her signature piece, Lila collaborated with celebrated South American artist, Keno, and unveils a Cleveland-centric abstract cityscape with a Berliner’s twist.
TREEHOUSE – 820 College Ave.
Emily Garrett has a BFA in Art Education with a 2-D Specialization in Painting. When she is not teaching visual arts, she draws pet portraits using oil pastels and sells them locally, nationally and internationally.
BAC – 2661 W. 14th
“Inspired by nature, I explore my aesthetic sensibilities through botanical subjects. My initial approach to a subject is representational drawings and watercolor paintings that will lead me to impressionistic and experimental freedom.”
THE SOUTHSIDE – 2207 W. 11th
Alexis specializes in photographing live music, as well as candid photos and portraits.
EDISON’S PUB – 2373 Professor Ave.
“I can be stopped dead in my tracks by something as routine as a leaf lying in the grass or a coin stuck in a car door cup holder. It’s my brains particular hiccup – too often be mesmerized by the quotidian. I like to illustrate objects and things of the sort that people might otherwise pass by every day and never consider. Tweak them, group them, bring the odd to the mundane, in order to allow for a kind of reconsideration. For a new story to be told. And I’m always, always trying to tell you a story.”
FLYING MONKEY – 819 Jefferson Ave.
Tony Byrd—multiple mediums
Tony Byrd worked for American Greetings for 20 years and taught Art classes in the Cleveland municipal School District. He works in many mediums, including wood, stone, oil, watercolor and pencil. On view will be a wide range of his work.
FAT CATS- 2061 W. 10th St
Mark Thomas—paintings & photography
After college, Mark Thomas moved to the Cleveland area. He found himself attracted to the decayed and forgotten areas of the city, exploring the industrial landscapes and rusty underbellies for inspiration. He was drawn to the organic patterns, colors and textures of the oxidized metal that dotted the city’s warehouse and bridges. It was then that he began to experiment with different types of enamels, paints and finishes, as well as tools for applying and stripping the layers of medium to achieve the half planned half random effect. His paintings are a direct reaction to his surroundings—tough, man-made gritty and mixed with vibrancy and random organic patterns of nature.
OTHER ART ON DISPLAY
- THE BEAUTY ROOM – Lila Rose Kole – the Serenity Series of Abstract Spa paintings to ease the pain of the winter months
- CLIMB-CLEVELAND — Multiple artists in Tremont’s newest and most physically challenging artist’s venue
- FAHRENHEIT – Lila Rose Kole presents the Fahrenheit industrial collection
- GIANCARLO CALICCIA GALLERY — “Playful Sculpture” in the artist’s sculpture studio and garden.
- GRAIN – James Hamilton, artist and furniture maker, Sculptures by Matthew Albright; music by Danny McDonnell, musician and songwriter
- GRUMPY’S – Garret Weider and Melanie Reese
- HI & DRY – Greg Murray, pet photography
- LAVA LOUNGE — Elizabeth Adams and Justin Brennan “Divergence: A Duo Exhibition”
- PAUL DUDA GALLERY – Images of Cleveland by Paul Duda
- TREMONT TAPHOUSE — Rob Hartshorn – photographs areas of the industrial flats
- TY FUN – Jill Lemieux – animal portraits with personality
FOOD AND DRINK SPECIALS
- BEVIAMO – winter warm-up – BOGO half-off coffee drink; plus live music
- EDISON’S – select $5 drafts; happy hour until 7
- FLYING MONKEY ‐ $5 green tea cocktail
- GRUMPY’S ‐ Open for dinner on Friday and Saturday nights from 4 until 10 with great nightly specials
- HI & DRY – happy hour until 7
- LAVA LOUNGE – extended happy hour until 8
- POST 1 ‐ $2 holiday mystery beer pull & $3 coffee shot (hot or chilled)
- PROSPERITY SOCIAL CLUB ‐ Fish fry. Happy hour from 4–6
- ROWLEY INN – Happy Hour 3‐6
- TONY’S – Stop at Tony’s for great food and a specialty cocktail
- TREEHOUSE – $6 hot-spiked cider, $4 HiWire milk stout, happy hour from 4–7
- TREMONT TAPHOUSE ‐ 4 ‐ 7 p.m.: $6 calamari, pizza; $5 pretzels, $1 off house draft beers
- TY FUN ‐ (all night) Pad Thai $10, Spring Rolls $5, My Ty Fun $5
- BEVIAMO – acoustic music in Tremont’s newest café/coffee shop
- CODA – an evening with Moises Borges, 8 p.m.
- GRAIN – Danny McDonnell, musician and songwriter
- PROSPERITY SOCIAL CLUB – Martini Five O, 9 p.m. – swinging sounds of loungey standards and surfy sounds for warming up
# # #
About Walkabout Tremont
Walkabout Tremont honors the artistic vision of the Tremont ArtWalk, which began in 1993 with open galleries on the second Friday of each month. Walkabout Tremont expands the event’s focus with art openings, music, street entertainment, restaurant and bar specials, and pop-up tents featuring art and artists from within and outside Tremont. Walkabout Tremont is the second Friday of each month. More specifics, an event map, neighborhood tours and gallery/store/restaurant hours are posted on www.WalkaboutTremont.com #WalkaboutTremont